Ecology Associate Director
Are you an accomplished professional in the wonderful world of Ecology? Would take the next step in your career and manage a fully functional team of your own? Would you like to get involved with delivering some of the world’s most exciting projects and join a dynamic, growing team who are at the forefront of sustainable design? If so, we want you to join our Ecology Team in London.
Based in our office a stone’s throw from Borough Market in the heart of Southwark’s thriving Bankside, our welcoming and diverse team are working on some of the most prestigious and innovative projects in the UK and across the world.
From sustainability-focused offices and commercial premises to cutting-edge healthcare facilities and from award-winning education schemes to major new residential communities, we are supporting schemes across a huge range of sectors.
With an influx of workload Watermans have developed the Ecology team to service projects all around the UK. Due to our expanding workload Waterman Infrastructure & Environment are currently looking for a director to run the team in London.
This is an exciting opportunity for the chosen candidate to work within a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team on a wide range of high-profile UK projects that include strategic residential and mixed-use development sites and infrastructure projects.
Our work involves early engagement at the due diligence or feasibility stage, with a focus on pre-planning protected species surveys, assessments, and mitigation design through to post planning works. With a requirement to meet the needs of our local clients and to support colleagues in other disciplines a key aspect to the role will include regular co-operation and inter-office working. We are looking for the team leader to build on current successes to grow the team in order to take full advantage of the market opportunities.
Although we’re happy to consider applicants with more or less experience, you’ll ideally have qualifications, experience or skills in the following areas:
• Have at least 15* years’ commercial consultancy experience and have Full Membership of CIEEM and/or Chartered Ecologist status.
• Have experience of people and project management.
• Ability to lead and develop a local team and interface with the national team.
• Understand the Southwest market and opportunities for growth.
• Have a working knowledge of ecological legislation and the planning process in the UK.
• Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of ecological taxa, survey methods/ assessment types (including a working knowledge of Biodiversity Net Gain and Ecological Impact Assessment) and protected species licencing.
• Demonstrable knowledge of the EIA and HRA process.
• Ideally Public Inquiry expert witness skills and experience.
• Experience in directing large scale survey programmes, digital data collection, and validation.
• Experienced in financial management, business develop and marketing.
• Ideally have experience in both linear infrastructure and property development projects.
• General working knowledge of health and safety requirements, with specific reference to those associated with rail infrastructure work.
• Experience in a variety of planning mechanisms, including the Transport Works Order Act, Development Consent Orders, and the Town & Country Planning Acts.
• Be able to work autonomously with excellent communication (including technical report writing) skills and an ability to prepare fee proposals/tenders.
• Be able to provide pragmatic, commercially aware ecological advice to our portfolio of major clients.
Joining our team will give you:
• Competitive salary and benefits package with annual salary reviews
• 26 days holiday per year, rising to 31 days with loyalty days, plus bank holidays
• Hybrid working arrangements
• Fantastic training and development culture
• Access to mentoring support from industry experts
• Opportunity to play a key role in exciting and varied projects
• ICE Training Agreement
• Opportunity to be client facing and the chance to get involved with business development and marketing activities
• Fast-tracked career progression for the right candidates
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you’d be a great fit for our team to firstname.lastname@example.org, or complete and submit the form below. All applications will be treated in confidence. Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.
About Waterman Group:
Waterman Group is a multidisciplinary consultancy providing private and public sector clients with sustainable solutions to meet the planning, engineering design and project delivery needs of the property, infrastructure, environment and energy markets.
- Job type